Learning Objectives - After reading this article, you should be able to:
- Describe how cool metal roofs can reduce cooling energy in a building.
- Explain the impact cool metal roofs have on lowering peak demand for electricity.
- Identify ways in which cool metal roofs comply with energy codes and standards.
- Discuss how cool metal roofs can reduce the environmental burden of a building.
- Discuss how cool metal roofs can qualify for voluntary programs and incentives.
|1 AIA LU/HSW|
The cool metal roofs market is surging. In this course, you will learn the extent to which this increasingly popular roofing option can reduce cooling energy and lower peak energy demand in a building, as well as how to compare the thermal properties of various roofing materials. Also discussed are reflective pigments and their role in keeping a building cool. Pertinent codes, standards, incentive programs-all key considerations in specifying a roof-will be explained, as well as the ways in which cool roofs contribute to initiatives aimed at achieving zero net energy buildings over the next two decades.